The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
The 1988 Cineplex Odeon film "The Last Temptation of Christ" shows some ancient coins.
It is a non-traditional story of the life and minstry of Jesus of Nazareth.
including tables and plates full of coins which appear to be copies of ancient coins.
Later on a temple priest holds up a gold coin.
1. Jesus and Mary Magdalene visit the temple
The film is a re-telling of the story of Jesus Christ.
Willem Dafoe plays Jesus, Barbara Hershey as Mary Magdalene.
2. Coins in tray
These appear to be copies of ancient Roman coins.
3. Money changer at work
He has a display of coins and some kind of counting device.
4. Money changer's coins and weighing scale
5. Jesus chastises the money changer
6. Some of the money changer's goods fly into the air
In the center is a Lucius Verus coin, see below.
7. Temple priest holds a Roman gold coin
8. Closer look at the Roman gold coin
9. The Roman gold coin rotated to show detail
This coin is similar to the fake/fantasy Roman Lucius Verus (AD 161-169) coin below,
but appears to be gold-plated.
10. Fake Roman coin of Lucius Verus
This coin is a popular fake made for sale to tourists visiting ancient historical sites in Europe and Asia.
as while few tourists are familiar with Roman history, many would have seen the film "Ben-Hur"
which is set at the time of Christ and features such a chariot in the climatic chariot race scene.
from AD 161 to 169 which is long after the time of Christ.
Willem Dafoe as Jesus
Harvey Keitel as Judas
Paul Greco as Zealot
Verna Bloom as Mary, Mother of Jesus
Barbara Hershey as Mary Magdalene
Writers: Paul Schrader, Nikos Kazantzakis (novel)