Time To Kill (1942)
The 1942 Twentieth Century Fox film "Time To Kill" is about a stolen Brasher Doubloon, a very rare
privately made gold coin from 1787.
as detecive Michael Shayne who is hired by a wealthy woman to locate the coin supposedly stolen by
her son's showgirl wife.
Ephraim Brasher who wanted to get a contract to operate a mint for the new US government.
They are worth more now, one sold for $4,500,000 in January 2014.
The 1942 film "Time To Kill" is based on Raymond Chandler's 1942 novel "The High Window",
and on Brett Halliday's Michael Shayne detective character.
The film is only one-hour long and thus fast-paced.
an elderly nasty woman, to find a rare coin, a Brasher Doubloon, which was stolen from her.
She suspects her son's ex-wife, Linda Conquest, a nightclub singer.
Mrs. Murdock says "I have an idiot for a son".
about the size of a twenty-dollar gold piece, minted in 1787, usually worth several thousand dollars,
but her's is worth more because the initials are on the left wing of the eagle.
Inflation since 1942 has made these coins worth more, several million dollars now.
nightclubs and gangsters.
He meets Linda, then a shady coin dealer who was offered the coin.
They lead to murders, and a scheme to make copies of the coin using dental equipment.
The idea is to make and sell copies to coin dealers.
The film was remade in 1947 as "The Brasher Doubloon".
2. Lloyd Nolan as Michael Shayne
3. Mrs. Murdock
4. Mrs. Murdock shows Shayne a book with a description of a Brasher Doubloon
5. Coin illustration from book titled "Early United States Coinage"
The coin is called a "Brasher's Doubloon".
6. Shayne conducts a pool-side interview
7. Coin dealer's office door sign
8. Coin dealer with magnifier
9. Shayne meets the dealer and asks him about the coin he saw
10. Linda Conquest meets Shayne, he then finds a receipt
11. Receipt with names of chemicals
Kerr's Crystobolite and White's Albastone, they are still being made today.
12. Envelope addressed to Shayne with coin in it, registered
13. Shayne opening box
14. Coin in box, labeled "Brasher Doubloon"
15. Shayne and police lieutenant at dealer's office after he is killed
Shayne explains his presence, "I'm a numismatist, a coin collector to you".
16. Mrs. Murdock receives the coin from Shayne
After telling him the coin was returned to her earlier.
17. Returned coin
18. Dentist explains the use of the chemicals on the receipt
Shayne figures out that the dental equipment is being used to make copies of the stolen coin.
19. Shayne explains things to the police lieutenant
Counterfeiters, killers, even Mrs. Murdock killing her husband.
Lloyd Nolan as Michael Shayne
Heather Angel as Myrle Davis
Doris Merrick as Linda Conquest Murdock
Morris Ankrum as Alexander Morny
Writers: Clarence Upson Young, Raymond Chandler (novel)