Gidget Goes to Rome (1963)
The 1963 Columbia film "Gidget Goes to Rome" features a US 1898 ten dollar gold coin which
also figures into the story.
novels by Frederick Kohner. A different actress played Gidget in each film.
which has been in the family a long time.
She manages to lose it in Rome and works to recover it.
In this film she does no surfing but spends most of the time in Rome.
She goes on the trip financed by her parents, and is followed by her boyfriend Jeff.
The coin appears to be an 1898 Liberty Head type.
US coins and paper money to be shown in films.
2. Gidget's parents give her the coin before she leaves for Rome
3. The coin in Gidget's hand
It is an 1898 Liberty Head $10 gold piece in good shape with the full word "Liberty" showing.
This is a Liberty Head $10 gold coin:
4. United States Liberty Head $10 1897
5. Jeff gets to hold the coin
6. Gidget gets ready to throw a coin into Rome's Trevi fountain
Unfortunately, she throws the wrong coin.
7. Gidget wades into the fountain to retrieve the coin
She gets arrested by a policeman.
8. Gidget's locket and gold coin joins the coins in the fountain,
At the end of the film she and Jeff head back to the USA.
Cindy Carol as Gidget (Frances Lawrence)
James Darren as Moondoggie (Jeffrey Matthews)
Cesare Danova as Paolo Cellini
Danielle De Metz as Daniela
Writers: Ruth Brooks Flippen, Frederick Kohner (novel)